Known as Steve to his friends, Mr. Bricker practiced law for over 40 years. His practice throughout that time emphasized complex civil litigation and trial work in both state and federal courts. Over the years, Mr. Bricker handled and tried a wide variety of personal injury, medical malpractice and civil rights cases. In addition to cases in Richmond, he has tried cases throughout Virginia, from Big Stone Gap in far southwestern Virginia to the Tidewater region.

He received his law degree from the University of Virginia and his BA from Ohio Wesleyan University.

Throughout his life he fought passionately for the rights of others. While at UVA he worked with the American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia. He began a Post-Conviction Assistance Program to represent indigent prison inmates, which was copied by students at other law schools. He was a staff attorney for the Rochester, New York legal aid office. At the ACLU Mr. Bricker headed the new Children’s Rights Project of Virginia. It enabled over 8,000 children in foster care to be released from a legal limbo in order to be able to be placed for adoption. He served as legal counsel for the Virginia office of the ACLU litigating a variety of cases on behalf of civil rights and civil liberties.  He was on the legal team with the ACLU National Prison Project that won a landmark settlement in 1979 for a Virginia inmate crippled by prison medical care.

Mr. Bricker was highly respected by his fellow trial lawyers.  In that regard, he served as President and Vice President of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, as well as a member of its Board of Governors. Mr. Bricker also served on the Board of Directors of the Central Virginia Legal Aid Society and the Commonwealth Community Trust.

In private practice since 1978, his predominant focus was on medical malpractice and accident cases – as always, advocating for the injured and victims of injustice. He always preferred the small law firm atmosphere in order to maximize direct contact with his clients.

Mr. Bricker passed away in October of 2016 after a hard fought battle with Multiple System Atrophy.